Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Year of the super green smoothies!

With a New Year comes resolutions...do we ever really keep these?? I haven't really ever been one to make resolutions and this isn't a true resolution I am making today. Its more of a commitment to indulge on super green smoothies.  I have been trying to think of ways to get some Iron into Cade and I started to research the benefits of GREEN smoothies.  So this weekend I stocked up on kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, chard, celery, frozen fruits, pears, apples, bananas and vanilla yogurt. 

Look how yummy this looks?? Once I added the berries mine turned more raspberry colored but still yummy.  


The blender will be jam packed with the greens, and first chop them up until they are liquid.  Once they are liquid add your fruits.  I also added a squeeze of lemon juice to cut out any tartness the spinach and greens may add.
My 1st smoothie I made consisted of: spinach, romaine, kale, celery, frozen strawberries and blueberries, two bananas, half cup water and an apple (skin and all).  It was yummy, even without the yogurt. I drank on the 5 cup mixture throughout the day and felt great, full and satisfied. I mean how else do you manage to get that many fruits and veggies in you?? Once I made my smoothie I packed it into a to-go Tupperware cup so I could keep it at work.

After dinner that evening I asked Cade if he wanted "ice cream" he anxiously said YES, so I mixed up a smoothie with some greens, yogurt banana, pear and frozen fruits.  While he wasn't really tricked that this was actually ice cream and didn't have much of it. I am going to try again night after night until I get this kid hooked on smoothies.  
I figure if anything its good for us all to get these vitamins and nutrients so why not??  Here are a list of some great sites that offer many recipes for a variety of smoothies, but keep in mind you really can't mess it up, just add what you like and taste as you go!

BENEFITS TO DRINKING GREEN SMOOTHIES:
"With a green smoothie recipe, the nutrition of organic and raw leafy green vegetables and fruits are broken down into a liquid that is quite simple for the human body to digest. Because the ingredients of a green smoothie recipe are blended, rather than juiced, you do not have to worry about them loosing their fiber. The leafy green vegetables that are used in Green Smoothie Recipes are an excellent source of Vitamin C, chlorophyll, fiber, calcium, Vitamin A, iron, and antioxidants.
The same can be said of the fruits that are used in a green smoothie recipe. After you have begun drinking a green smoothie a day for a period of time, you will find that your body naturally begins to crave these foods, rather than more unhealthy options. If you would like to improve your overall health naturally with delicious and nutritious snacks, try a green smoothie recipe a day."
Enjoy and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment