Sunday, January 15, 2012

DIY household cleaners that are SAFE

Today Caders wasn't feeling too hot, I think he has a cold. So he napped longer than usual which left me with lots of time. I tried to work on my sewing, FAIL. And decided to embark on making some DIY household cleaners that are safe.  I had some left over windex and household cleaner bottles on hand and decided to reuse those.
I followed these recipes for my cleaners.

All-Purpose Cleaner (recipe from care2.com)
I use this all-purpose cleaner for everything: cooked-on messes on the stove, counter tops, crayon marks and grimy fingerprints on my walls, and a great no-rinse mop solution. You may need to give it a little time to work on particularly crusty, caked-on messes. In that case, I usually spray the mess generously, go do something else for a couple of minutes and come back to wipe up the mess. This solution is particularly effective when used with a microfiber cloth.
1/2 teaspoon washing soda
A dab of liquid soap
2 cups hot tap water
Optional: a few drops of your favorite essential oil(s). 
Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake until the washing soda has dissolved. Apply and wipe off with a sponge or rag.


Glass Cleaner (recipe from care2.com)1/4-1/2 teaspoon liquid detergent
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 cups water
Spray bottle

Put all the ingredients into a spray bottle, shake it up a bit, and use as you would a commercial brand. The soap in this recipe is important. It cuts the wax residue from the commercial brands you might have used in the past. Microfiber cloths are a great, lint-free, low-waste way to wash your windows/mirrors. Newspaper also works really well.
happy green cleaning!!

Don't forget you can also make your own DIY Febreeze! My mom recently went to the store for us and bought a ton of Febreeze so I don't need to make any yet. 


Here's what you'll need to whip up a batch:    
  • an empty spray bottle
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons of fabric softener  

Cheers, Carri

No comments:

Post a Comment